I woke up at 5 am today. Yes, Mom, It is possible for me to wake up earlier than 9 o'clock. The reason for this rare occurrence is I was visiting Robby's school. A bonafide Italiano Scuola. We (Roberto, Michael, and I) went to Seminary first. Even though there are only two other students in the class I really enjoyed it and could actually understand the major points of the lesson which helped me to feel less inept than I have been lately. Oh Italiano, when are we going to become friends? After that, of course, was school. His schedule fore the day was: P.E., German Lab, German, History, and Math. Apparently there had never been an American at the school, even in exchange programs, so I gained quite the following by the end of the day. One of the kids joked that I looked, "Like Jesus surrounded by the little children." I definitely wouldn't have described it that way, but it was funny enough that it ended up in this post.
In History, the teacher decide that she wasn't going to teach a lesson and instead, drag me to the front of the class for a Q&A with Robby as my translator. Juuuuuuust what I was hoping for... Psych. No, it really wasn't that bad. The majority of the questions the teacher asked was about our school system in America. I'm pretty sure that her goal was to get me to admit that the schools here are better than they are at home, but I figured being diplomatic was the best approach so I, in a nutshell, told her that they both had their strong points but that because I was American I was liked our schools better. She wasn't too happy about that answer... You better believe it, people. I'm still abounding in patriotism.
On the other hand, the students asked questions like these: Do you see famous people all of the time? Do you know any gangsters? What do Americans think of Italians? Why are Americans better looking than Italians? Do you party? What's the drinking age in the US? Do you like Italian boys? Do you have a boyfriend? Do you want to go to a disco (they just mean a dance) with me? Is Italy better than Oregon? What's your position on having all of the Mexicans immigrate to the States? What's your favorite food? Do you like Italian food? Are you gaining weight from all of the food yet? Will you please come back?!
At some point I realized that I could tell them anything, and they would believe it. I was pretty tempted to tell them all sorts of outlandish things, but seeing how seemingly information starved they were about the States I decided to not steer them too far in the wrong direction. Although, don't be surprised if you come across a group of Italian teenagers who believe that dinosaurs are the main source of transportation in the US....
No comments:
Post a Comment