I'm no longer lost in airports, but that thought feels equally as relevant as it did 2 weeks ago. I'd be lying if I told you that this whole trip has been pure bliss, so I won't. Italy is boiling over with beauty, and I've only had a small taste of it; The people are wonderful, and I enjoy everyone I meet; The food easily makes life worth living, and would recommend it to anyone contemplating suicide. But there is, as with anything, a side to it which is equally as difficult as it is wonderful. Trying to learn the language from scratch has felt on the verge of immposible. I get so much satisfaction out of discerning what people are saying, but it's usually only after using every bit of brain power I have that I can make out what's being said. My brain never gets the chance to rest; It's always on, always working. It's surprisingly tiring. I do my best to be helpful to the Mongias, but half of the time I feel fairly useless which has never been a feeling I enjoy. I can't help but look out into this next 2 1/2 months and wonder what I'm doing. Could I have used this time for school? Could I be working? Maybe I should have only stayed a month... I didn't expect to miss everyone this much, ect, ect, ect... The list goes on. It's during these moments that what Tiff said seems to echo through the chasms of my mind the loudest, and I am stopped from becoming a pathetic little girl, hiding in my room all day.
"You can either cry, or have an adventure."
It's my new mantra. It hasn't stopped me entirely from crying, so when I do I am always sure to match it with a grandiose adventure. At this point, my definition of an adventure may be walking an hour to get to Monte Croce Church just to see what the hills look like from a higher elevation, but to me, those are the kind of adventures I get the most out of.
Long live older sisters.
Love this post. Glad you are having so many adventures and I am sure your Italian is going to be amazing. You should give a toast in Italian at the wedding.
ReplyDeleteYour posts are amazing!! I never knew you were such a great writer. Tiffani's words, and your thoughts on those words, have inspired me. I am in the "two weeks until the showcase and we are not even close to finishing the costumes, the dances are not all learned, and how are we going to get it all done in time" stage of life. I am trying to resist falling apart and crying every day. However, I never thought of making this an adventure. It changes the focus and lightens the load, bringing joy to the whole process. Thanks Tiff and Britt.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy every moment of your trip, it will pass all to quickly. I look forward to more posts of your adventures. See you in August. Sister Nuttall
Goodness gracious. I love all these pictures (: too fantastic
ReplyDelete